Date:      Mon, 1 Jul 2002 15:02:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Patrick Thomas <root@utility.clubscholarship.com>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: crash debugs, etc., possible on a freebsd vmware guest ?

Yes it works well.. I hav edon that in th e past..
in fact if you use the nullmodem (nmdm) driver, you can connect the serial
console of the virtual PC to 'tip' so you can read the output and save it.
you can also connect it to gdb for remote debugging, all on the same
machine....

see http://www.freebsd.org/~julian for more on the nullmodem driver
including a screenshot of exactly what you are talking about..
there are some tricks to running -current in the VM however.

You need to make a single patch because the VM is REALLY SLOW to emulate
the instruction used in kernel mutexes if you re not a 386 (e.g if you are
a pentium).. the workaround is to tell the kernel build process that you
are building for a 386 or a 586 (include both otions)