Date:      Fri, 15 May 1998 09:10:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:      CyberPeasant <djv@bedford.net>
To:        xripper@tecsat.com.br (Alessandro)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Slow processes and connection...

Alessandro wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I run a P200MMX with 64Mb RAM, a USR Sportster 33.6k modem and the
> 2.2.6-STABLE. I've some problems here and I need help.
>
> 1) I compiled my kernel with the following options: PPP_DEFLATE,
> PPP_BSDCOMP, PPP_FILTER. I'm using minicom to dial to my ISP and pppd
> v2.2.0. I made a options file in the /etc/ppp dir and I used the deflate
> 12,12 option in this file. The problem is that pppd is not understanding
> this deflate option... so I'm not using any kind of compression... any
> help?
>
> 2) Most of the times, I connect at 33.600 with my ISP. My ISP has a 1Mbits
> link and it is fast. The problem is that my 2.2.6 seems to be very slow
> when I'm doing more than one thing at a time. For example, if I'm doing an
> ftp in one console and in another one I try to use fetchmail, lynx or try
> to make a telnet session, it takes an year to connect or even it doesn't
> connect... I compiled my kernel with maxusers 64 and I didn't change
> nothing more. I sometimes use Linux on the same computer and this problem
> doesn't show up, so it's not a hardware problem. I'm using 6
> virtual-consoles here. Maybe it's some configuration missing to tune up my
> FreeBSD... that's all that I want... Use the Internet in all consoles in a
> real multitasking enviroment without having to wait forever for an
> application to finish so I can start a new one..:)))))

I don't think you're really seeing a problem that can be fixed. I
see this with Linux, too, for what it it's worth. The problem is
that the 33.6Kbps is just a nasty slow tunnel, through which your
sports car is trying to speed. Compared to a P200, that modem is
almost standing still.

Some programs seem to be worse bwith hogs than others. FTP seems to
be the worst offender; start an ftp session, and nothing else ever
seems (i.e. it takes two minutes ;) to get a packet through.

I hope a kernel dude will step forward. It just seems like there's
no sharing going on with the ppp channel.

Dave
--
                <----.   mail-to: djv@bedford.net