Date:      Sat, 21 Jun 1997 13:16:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ulf Zimmermann <ulf@Alameda.net>
To:        gary@tbe.net (Gary D. Margiotta)
Cc:        blaz@gold.amis.net, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ISDN

> > Until now I did not find any other TA but the Omni 128. Which other TA's
> > have two serial ports?
>
> Well, the USR courier I-Modem does, and I believe there is one from
> Cardinal that does also, though I am not sure of the model #.
>
> > Yeah, I just registered for the 56K modem cards on www.livingston.com.
> > I'm not so eagerly waiting for those anyway, because most customers over
> > here use USR modems that do X2 instead of K56flex and I do not intend to
> > support them anyway (get ISDN if you want higher speed).
>
> True, but in my situation, I am getting a PRI, which from my understanding
> doesn't interface well with ISDN, and vice versa, though unfortunately I
> didn't have much time to do the reasearch, the quality of our phone lines
> is forcing my hands into going digital before we really wanted to.

Looks like you have to very much research. PRI is ISDN. BRI is ISDN. It just
gets delivered via different media (PRI = DS1, BRI = 1 pair twisted (like
analog)) and PRI has more channels then BRI (24 (23 B channels, 1 D channel)
against 3 (2 B channels, 1 D channel 16 kbp/sec)).

> > Won't this be an expensive route? First buying the USR units, then switching
> > to PM3? I think that 56K is just an intermediate step and it will die sooner
> > or later.
>
> Actually we were and still are planning on supporting both standards until
> they come up with one mix, and that in the end would also allow us for
> more phone lines and modems in the end.  I agree with you on that.
>
> -Gary Margiotta
> TBE Internet Services
> http://www.tbe.net

If you just need better phone lines, you can also go with phone lines delivered
via T1 channelized and then either have the T1 going into a PBX or break out
via a channel bank. T1 can also go directly into a PM3, but then only for
analog calls. Or you use the PRI into a PM3 and can do ISDN and analog.

Ulf.

Ulf Zimmermann, 1525 Pacific Ave., Alameda, CA-94501, #: 510-769-2936
Alameda Networks, Inc. | http://www.Alameda.net  | Fax#: 510-521-5073