Date:      Wed, 7 Jul 1999 10:27:16 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Slashdot: A Linux vs FreeBSD WWW Server comparison ...

On Tuesday,  6 July 1999 at 21:48:03 -0300, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> Just curious, anyone have any ideas as to why we'd be slower at executing
> a cgi then Linux?
>
> http://perl.pattern.net/bench/

To quote:

> The script was run three times and the results from the third run is
> what appears below.

To be cynical: we kept running the tests until they looked better for
Linux.

Seriously, it doesn't look as if the test was very well done, nor very
representative.  The scripts both produced "Hello, world\n".  Possibly
the overhead of starting new processes has something to do with it,
since FreeBSD was significantly faster for the straight HTML tests.

Greg