Date:      Tue, 11 Feb 1997 07:14:20 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To:        ponds!critter.dk.tfs.com!phk
Cc:        ponds!freebsd.org!dg, ponds!freebsd.org!hackers, ponds!freebsd.org!joerg
Subject:   Re: daily panics, ffs_valloc: dup alloc - Good news!

Poul-Henning writes:

> >> please, it's rather crucial for debugging this.
> >

> > Ok - here you go.
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> >	3) Then, I ifconfig'd ed0; grabbed a working dumpfs and
> >	   go this output.
> >	   I notice that the cgmask is 0xffffffff; so I _think_
> >	   this file system would have the same problems.
> >	   (ignore the time there; I haven't got the CMOS clock set right.)
>
> I still can't see how you can possibly have reached the conclusion
> that cgmask is the cause of this (as oposed to some other magic somewhere
> in the code)...

 Well; given your statement that 0xffffffff is the correct
cgmask - I'd have to retract my assertion.   It was simply the
only "strange-looking" thing I stumbled into when I was determining
just how the disk block offset was calculated.  I'm no filesystem guru;
I do compilers :-)

 However; I'm certain that the problem is disk block calculation,
somewhere.  Since the panic occurs in ffs_alloc.c:ffs_vget(), on
a brand new file system; on the first allocation of an inode that
just happens to be the same as the # inodes/group.  We do the
malloc(), bzero() of this data; then the bread() and we're toast.

 Did the dumpfs I sent you point to any strangeness?

	- Dave Rivers -