Date:      Fri, 10 Apr 2020 12:37:28 +0530
From:      Reshad Patuck <reshadpatuck1@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Netgraph VLANs on Hyper-V

Hi,

I am trying to use ng_vlan on Hyper-V to deploy vnet jails.
The "Enable MAC address Spoofing" setting on the Hyper-V host is enabled.
However when I try to use ng_vlan I am not able to reach the jail.
If I change this to if_vlan instead everything works fine.

Is there something that creating a VLAN using ifconfig does that ng_vlan
does not.
The same setup works well on VMware ESXi, Xen and KVM.

I am not sure if this is relevant to my issue but the hn1 devices sysrc's
changes when I use different vlan methods:

no vlan:
dev.hn.1.rxfilter: 9<DIRECT,BROADCAST>
dev.hn.1.hwassist: 17<CSUM_IP,CSUM_IP_UDP,CSUM_IP_TCP,CSUM_IP_TSO>

if_vlan:
dev.hn.1.rxfilter: 20<PROMISC>
dev.hn.1.hwassist: 17<CSUM_IP,CSUM_IP_UDP,CSUM_IP_TCP,CSUM_IP_TSO>

ng_vlan:
dev.hn.1.rxfilter: 9<DIRECT,BROADCAST>
dev.hn.1.hwassist: 0

All the other sysrc's either stay the same or seem to be counters.
I can provide you with scripts to setup vlans and jails with both if_vlan
and ng_vlan if that helps.

Any help understanding what these sysrc's do, or on how I could get ng_vlan
to work would be very appreciated.

Best,

Reshad