Date:      Fri, 28 Jan 2000 14:58:19 +0100 (MET)
From:      Daniel Forsgren <forda@ite.mh.se>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   File ownerships

Hello,

I'm using a FBSD3.4 machine as an access gateway to a cluster of other
FBSD machines. Cluster disks are NFS-mounted on the access machine so that
users may access their home directories on all machines through
Samba/ftp via the gateway. It works fine, but I've noticed one little
problem. Since file ownership is not determined by user names, but rather
by UID number, I'm required to ensure that all users have the same UID on
all machines. Otherwise file ownerships in the gateway directory (where
the remote disk is mounted) will not match the actual file ownership on
the remote machine. Is it possible to make FBSD determine file ownership
using user names instead of UIDs in those directories (I guess it
isn't). Of course, I could duplicate passwd from the gateway to all other
machines each time an user is added to avoid disrepancies, but that would
kill off the possibility of letting users have accounts only on a subset
of the cluster machines..

Thanks in advance,

/Daniel F.