Date:      Sun, 23 Feb 2003 11:21:29 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, Clemens Hermann <haribeau@gmx.de>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: C coding editor

On Sunday 23 February 2003 10:17 am, Wes Peters wrote:
> On Friday 21 February 2003 04:21 am, Clemens Hermann wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > what are your favourite editors for coding C? While vi on the first
> > terminal, cc on second and runs on the third is fine for very small
> > things I doubt it is the way people do it here.
>
> Terminal?  You have heard of this really cool thing called windowing
> software?  ;^)
>
> I completely utterly fail to understand why some young developers
> attach some sort of romance to writing code on an 80x25 screen, when
> all the haxxors my age or older waited (or slaved away) for years,
> even decades, to get something better and more flexible.

I love comments like this. We used Microsoft's developer environment to
update Unix (HPs and a Cray) for years because that was all we had
other than vi. You could click something in Microsoft, right click it
and you would see sample code, the headers you needed, and etc. The
programs were under strict code control that was acceptable to the USA
NRC.

I see the same thing more or less using the 'Crusader', 'Code Warrior',
or kdevelop environment. In a co-conversion effort using DEC Fortran
and f77 on FreeBSD, msdbg would roll over and die but kdbg would show
you the signal error. Unfortunately, it wouldn't show you why the line
was dying. Writing a one line message of parameters produced a 70 MB
file with no clue why it was dying. Msdbg would actually debug the line
and show you which pointer went out of range but it would die if you
just let it run and not tell you where. Combining the effort produced a
solution neither was capable of by themselves in a reasonable amount of
time.

It all goes under my heading of "what part of making your life easier
don't you understand".

Have a good day,

Kent

--