Date:      Mon, 16 Jun 1997 08:01:32 +0100 (BST)
From:      Jim Dixon <jdd@vbc.net>
To:        Chris Peltier <CPELTIER@iectech.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>, Dean Romaniello <dromaniello@iectech.com>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.2.2 and Merit Gated

On Sun, 15 Jun 1997, Chris Peltier wrote:

> Does anybody have any experience running gated for BGP 4
> on FreeBSD? I am interested in running full Internet routing
> tables and pushing several meg full duplex through a dual-homed
> box. I need to route to 5 differant IPs on one local network which
> map to 5 differant points on a global ATM network.
> It seems the Merit gated implementation should do the job
> on a Penitum Pro machine with 128Meg memory and two
> 10/100 Base T cards. Any comments or experiences?

We peer with 30+ networks at the LINX in London using a P120 with
64 MB of memory and three DEC 10/100 cards, two of which are
connected to 100 Mbps Ethernet switches.  We run gated with BGP4
and OSPF.

The setup is very stable.   We used to use a 486 but replaced it
with the P120 a year or so ago because the Asus T2P4 motherboard
supports ECC.

--
Jim Dixon                  VBCnet GB Ltd           http://www.vbc.net
tel +44 117 929 1316                             fax +44 117 927 2015