Date:      Fri, 5 Jun 1998 13:29:11 -0400
From:      Rick Siple <RickSiple@mpainc.com>
To:        "'Doug White'" <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Subject:   RE: User PPP

	Sorry, still no luck.  If I am interpreting the log output
correctly, the only sticking point is that RAS rejects the
authentication protocol (AUTHPROTO).  The LCP seems to be saying 'I want
to use CHAP," RAS replies 'CHAP is not acceptable.'  Unfortunately ppp
has no other choice.  From the log output they seem to agree now, as
opposed to when DES was not installed, but still RAS rejects PAP/CHAP
authentication.
	RAS is configured to accept clear text authentication as well,
but it does not or will not present a "login:" prompt.  When I attempt
to use the terminal I do not get any text prompt nor can I seem to type
anything to get its attention.
	Should I try to get ppp from 2.2.5 or 2.2.2 and try them again?
I would have to have to downgrade, plus every time I update the system
ppp would be upgraded.
	Also, which parts of the 'secure' distribution should I have
installed?  I installed only the libdes portion.  Previously on -stable
someone complained that installing the DES libraries changed the
password encryption to DES.  Since the machine(s) are standalone, it
really doesn't matter but I thought I would try to limit the impact of
the DES libraries and such by installing only what (I thought) was
necessary.

Thanks again.

P.S.:  Is this more appropriate for the -mobile list?  Probably not as I
assume from the description -mobile is more of a technical list.