Date:      Tue, 01 Oct 1996 09:18:47 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>
To:        Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
Cc:        James Graham <greywolf@siva.captech.com>, "Kevin P. Neal" <kpneal@pobox.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.org, tech-kern@netbsd.org

>I'm not worried about that so much as "What hacks are you referring to?"
>If you're specific, well, maybe some effort could be made to improve the
>concatenated disk driver.

The problem I'm referring to is that this should not be done in a
pseudo-driver, but as a general framework for bdevs.

For instance, why can't I have my root-partition striped ?

There is no significant difference between the FDISK, bsd-disklabel,
mirror, stripeing and raid 5 operations.  They all translate a
(dev+blkno+len) tupple to one or more similar tupples.

I have been playing with idea this a bit and it's high on my winter
project list.

whois: [PHK]                | phk@ref.tfs.com       TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Future will arrive by its own means, progress not so.