Date:      Fri, 16 May 2014 16:40:00 GMT
From:      Mark Millard <markmigm@gmail.com>
To:        gnome@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/188856: devel/py-gobject3 doesn&#39;t install on powerpc64

The following reply was made to PR ports/188856; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Mark Millard <markmigm@gmail.com>
To: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: ports/188856: devel/py-gobject3 doesn&#39;t install on
 powerpc64
Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 09:39:16 -0700

 (This is an extension to a prior note. But this written to largely stand on its own given the original defect report. This adds the relationship to uname -m vs. -p.)

 For the py-gobject3 configure file's

 PLATFORM=`$PYTHON -c "import sys; from distutils import util; sys.stdout.write(util.get_platform())"`

 the result corresponds to uname -m (i.e., powerpc): the so-called "hardware plaform" in uname terminology. util.get_platform(), os.uname()[4], and platform.machine() all result in just "powerpc" (unname -m result) as stands.

 The result during portmaster is a "....egg-info" file name based on PLATFORM that disagrees with the later check for the file's existence. (But PLATFORM has other uses as well and some may be correct ones for all I know.)

 The lstat "....egg-info" file path reported as missing corresponds to uname -p (i.e., powerpc64): the so-called "machine processor architecture" in uname terminology.

 I do not know if the 3 python calls are returning correct results for python's intent or not. But I would expect that py-gobject3's file naming for the "....egg-info" file reported as missing should be using uname -p style text in the file name in order to fit correctly in the overall ports environment.

 --
 Mark Millard <markmigm at gmail.com>