Date:      Mon, 22 Nov 1999 14:52:32 -0800
From:      "David Schwartz" <davids@webmaster.com>
To:        "Terry Lambert" <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Judge: "Gates Was Main Culprit"

> > What I'm talking
> > about is lock in to an inferior technology in the presence of a superior
> > technology (one that's indisputably superior in the range of
> 20% or more).
> >
> > > I can cite many examples of either, if you would clarify what it is
> > > you are talking about.
> >
> > I'm talking about tipping or network affects locking us into an inferior
> > technology. And the reason I don't think examples will be found is quite
> > simple -- even though discarding compatability is painful, as
> soon as it's
> > profitable, we find a way to do it.
> >
> > We aren't still stuck using 8 bit computers, are we?
>
> No, we are stuck using 8MHz 16 bit I/O busses, incapable of
> identifying all of the devices you plug into them, and incapable
> of doing bys mastering into your full memory address space.

	We aren't stuck with them. We still have them, but we don't use them. This
is a 'best of both worlds' situation. We still have compatability, but we
don't have to suffer all the disadvantages. This is one way that lock in can
be broken -- by maintaining compatability.

> You might have an argument against inferior technologies after
> the last ISA card is dead and buried, but don't bet on it: I
> can't run arbitrary speeds between different PCI slots yet,
> either.

	What's your point here? We have the options of both superior and inferior
technologies. No one is locked into anything. This is a case of engineering
ingenuity and market forces breaking lock in.

> Also, look at PCMCIA: other standards were available, but it is on
> an ENPIC by ENPIC basis whether or not hot plug is supported, and
> in most cases where it's not, OS vendors are unwilling to do the
> necessary work to make it robust in spite of that (c.f. FreeBSD,
> any Microsoft OS, etc.).

	Right. I never said that the very best possible technology would always be
brought to market. I simply said that market lock in wouldn't be able to
hold us into significantly inferior technologies.

	DS