Date:      Fri, 29 Nov 1996 22:02:01 +0100 (MET)
From:      Gunther Hipper <gunther@informatik.uni-rostock.de>
To:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Cc:        gunther@ceylon.informatik.uni-rostock.de
Subject:   Re: Problems: includes / segmentation faults / latest SMP-kernel  doesn't boot

Hi again !

> most likely it was the wrong configuration, but it might also be the clue we
> are looking for.  Have cvsupped -current recently, ie AFTER 96-11-21?
> This was the date of the last merge of SMP with -current.  Sometimes
> changes in current AFTER such a merge break the SMP kernel's ability
> to run on the NEWER -current system.
I cvssupped the whole cvs-tree (not current !) after 96-11-21 from cvsup.nl.freebsd.org.
Then, I made most, installmost. Hereafter, I moved /usr/src/sys to /usr/src/sys-UP and
supped the sys-smp-tree. Then, cvs -d dontcare chekcout sys. Moved sys to /usr/src/sys-SMP.
If the cvs-tree is okay, there should be no error...

> what does "ls -alt /sys" say?
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  11 Nov 29 20:57 /sys -> usr/src/sys
and then, /usr/src/sys is linked to /usr/src/sys-SMP, exactly the way you suggested :)

> > There is another problem concerning the root-filesystem:
> >
> > panic(cpu#0): nobody wants to mount my root
> >
> > I stopped over in configure(), autoconf.c but couldn't find out why
> > its not mounted...still trying. Hope i can solve this on myself.
>
> I'm a little confused by this... I thought I understood you to say
> above that you were no longer hanging after the:
>  SMP: All 2 CPU's are online!
>
> line.
>
> The attempt to mount the root fs comes before this point, booting with
> the '-v' option I get:

> Device configuration finished.
> Considering FFS root f/s.
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> configure() finished.
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Enabled INTs: 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 10, 16, 19, imen: 0x00f6fa21
> sd0s1: type 0xa5, start 32, end = 3450879, size 3450848 : OK
> SMP: Idle procs online, starting an AP!
> SMP: AP CPU #1 LAUNCHED!!  Starting Scheduling...
> SMP: TADA! CPU #1 made it into the scheduler!.
> SMP: All 2 CPU's are online!
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> I must be missing something???

I'm sorry... when I started working again after I send the email I remembered
that the errors could be caused by my (deaf and dumb) Makefile which copies
opt_smp.h somewhere. Therefore, i cleaned it up and compiled again.
Then, the hang was gone and the following panic occurred:

imasks: bio c0004040  tty f0000002  net e0000420
panic(cpu#0): Nobody wants to mount my root for me

I thought, the panic concerning the filesystem is not so severe, I wanted to try
to get after it. Maybe, if this is away, the kernel hangs again up at the old place.
Furthermore, I tried out to remove the NBUS, NCPU, APIC_IO, NAPIC, NINTR and just
left the options line SMP in the config file. The result is:

imasks: bio c0004040  tty c0030002  net c0020420
Device configuration finished
panic(cpu#0): Nobody wants to mount my root for me

> If you consistantly get the root fs mount panic I think itmight be time
> for you to boot a non-SMP kernel and fsck all your disks.
> Then run config/make depend/make/make install for your SMP kernel,
> then retry it.
I only have a single FreeBSD machine, so to compile I have to reboot and
to try I have to reboot again....
It's not a filesystem problem, I even made an fsck /dev/rwd0a rigth now.

Maybe I should try to start scratch with rm -rf /usr/src/*, grab the -current
instead of -cvs, make most, installmost, grab the smp-sys and see what happens.
What would you suggest ?

Bye

Gunther

Gunther Hipper                 |
University of Rostock          |
Department of Computer Science | Tel    +49 381 498 3391
Albert-Einstein-Str. 21        | Fax    +49 381 498 3440
18051 Rostock - Germany        | Email  Gunther.Hipper@informatik.uni-rostock.de