Date:      Tue, 17 Apr 2001 10:37:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        bright@wintelcom.net (Alfred Perlstein)
Cc:        avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au (Darren Reed), julian@elischer.org (Julian Elischer), freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG, net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: non-random IP IDs

> * Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au> [010417 04:29] wrote:
> > In some mail from Julian Elischer, sie said:
> > >
> > > there is a site that calculates server uptime from these numbers.
> > > All the leading machines are freeBSD. When you do this it will
> > > no-longer be able to track us :-(
> >
> > IMHO, extraordinarily large uptimes are nothing to be proud of and
> > say nothing about the quality of software.
> >
> > I'd almost go so far as to say uptimes greater than 1 year indicate
> > that the system administration practises need review.
>
> Agreed.  I've yet to hear about any seriously deployed system
> go without security advisories for over a year.

Or perhaps this is a very talented system admin who values uptime
and finds work arounds that don't envolve downing a system that do
just as good, and sometimes better, than the vendor fix for the
security issue.

Security Fix != Reboot required.

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX @ CN85sl - (RWG25)               rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net