Date:      Mon, 29 May 2006 18:23:43 +0500
From:      Gaspar Chilingarov <casper@mail.web.am>
To:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <mdodd@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Subject:   Re: ataidle and -current ?

Matthew N. Dodd wrote:
> On Fri, 26 May 2006, Julian Elischer wrote:
>> the interface to control the deveices has changed. Theoretically you
>> could make a much simpler ataidle program now but no-one has done it..
>
> I wrote ftp://ftp.jurai.net/users/winter/atautil.tar to manipulate ATA
> "APM" settings.  APM is drive managed power configuration.
>
> I call a simple shell script via apmd to enabling idling when the laptop
> is on battery.
>
> 'atautil' also supports reading the drive tempreature from IBM/Hitachi
> Travelstars.

well, It does not work on amd64. or - with my HDD.

#aldan ~/atautil> ./atautil -f ad0 identify
atautil: IOCATAREQUEST: Inappropriate ioctl for device

at same time atacontrol says that it is
#aldan ~/atautil> atacontrol list
ATA channel 0:
    Master:  ad0 <ST9100822A/3.01> ATA/ATAPI revision 6

Are there any ideas why IOCATAREQUEST ioctl fails - as I see all ioctl
request from ad_disk driver are redirected to ata-all:ata_*_ioctl
function. At same time I cannot see any ifdefs in ata* files which
disable processing this ioctl..

May be this is an issue with hard driver() it is
#aldan ~/atautil> atacontrol cap ad0

Protocol              ATA/ATAPI revision 6
device model          ST9100822A
serial number         3LG1EH90
firmware revision     3.01
cylinders             16383
heads                 16
sectors/track         63
lba supported         195371568 sectors
lba48 supported       195371568 sectors
dma supported
overlap not supported

Feature                      Support  Enable    Value           Vendor
write cache                    yes      yes
read ahead                     yes      yes
Tagged Command Queuing (TCQ)   no       no      0/0x00
SMART                          yes      yes
microcode download             yes      yes
security                       yes      no
power management               yes      yes
advanced power management      yes      yes     32896/0x8080
automatic acoustic management  no       no      0/0x00  254/0xFE

so it CAN support power management.

--
Gaspar