Date:      Sun, 14 Feb 1999 21:37:01 -0500
From:      tcobb@staff.circle.net
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   panics & deciphering VMSTAT output

I've been trying to track down a regular, but not
manually reproducible crash in 3.0-BETA (19990205).

I can't get a crashdump due to a DSCHECK negative
number bug.  I think my swap space of 3+GB is
too large for it.  So, I've been having it send
me the output of vmstat -m every 15 minutes to
try to track it down.  The couple of times I've
seen the panic message on the console, it was
typically, but not always:
pipeinit: cannot allocate pipe - out of kvm

It has been happening approximately every 6 hours
on a heavily loaded server with 100+ chrooted daemons
and NFS.

So, in short, so that I can compare my vmstat outputs
to the one I captured 3 minutes before the last crash,
can anyone tell me what the vmstat entries mean? :)
A quick legend or tutorial would be helpful, and I'll
turn it into a FAQ for the documentation project, too.

-Troy Cobb
 Circle Net, Inc.
 http://www.circle.net