Date:      Thu, 9 Jul 1998 09:38:04 +1000 (EST)
From:      John Birrell  <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        bjn@visi.com
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ELF and Alpha conflict (lib/libc/nlist.c)

Brent J. Nordquist wrote:
> My bootstrap buildworld stopped in lib/libc/nlist.c, throughout
> which Elf32_* structs are sprinkled liberally.  I hacked around it by
> #define'ing them to their Elf64_* equivalents in sys/alpha/elf.h (ick).
>
> Has anyone raised this issue with the ELFmeisters?  It seems like all
> code should use something like Elf_* structs that are mapped to Elf32_*
> or Elf64_* depending on platform.

I have a version with the 64 bit code in the same style as the rest of the
file. I haven't committed this because I don't think it is a clean solution.
NetBSD has a far cleaner way of dealing with the similarities or 32 and
64 bit elf without duplicating code.

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org http://www.cimlogic.com.au/
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137