Date:      Mon, 25 Jun 2001 23:42:04 +0200
From:      "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <karsten@rohrbach.de>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: disable traceroute to my host

--5mCyUwZo2JvN/JJP

Nate Williams(nate@yogotech.com)@2001.06.25 13:39:05 +0000:
> > hehe, reminds me of this customer's nokia ip-330 sitting in the corner
> > of my lab -- i probably will wipe ipso and this weird-ass checkpoint
> > fw1, replace it with freebsd and ipfilter :->
>=20
> Except you'd be replacing the ip-330 running FreeBSD with another box
> running FreeBSD.
>=20

you know, it _would_ be a great product if the licensing would actually
_work_ and the versioning trail would be well-documented.

it's not the hardware, not the os, it's the whole dist and licensing
concept. the checkpoint support people just keep giving me versions of
the install package, different everytime and they go like this:
"well, yes, the license you bought is for feature set
bla-bla-3des-cpvig-bummer-25 and your installed package is *-des-* so
you need the *-strong-* version from ftp url blabla". it wont work. they
get back to me after tmy next bug report and tell me to switch it back
to the other version then. i tell them to supply me the version they
actually _mean_ and it has the same filename for the package, same
version but different md5sum. what kind of fucked up release engineering
is that? i use freebsd for years now and i never had such problems,
everythings documented and so on but now i stop whining and get back to
my really hard after-work job: it is half past eleven pm and i need to
get drunk until midnight to forget all that crap of the last days ;-)

> Nate (or Nate.Williams@nokia.com ;)

i see, i get back to you off-list and describe the scenario if you wish.
perhaps there's something we can do about all that stuff...
/k

--=20
> Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm
> not sure about the former. --Albert Einstein=20
KR433/KR11-RIPE -- WebMonster Community Founder -- nGENn GmbH Senior Techie
http://www.webmonster.de/ -- ftp://ftp.webmonster.de/ -- http://www.ngenn.n=
et/
karsten&rohrbach.de -- alpha&ngenn.net -- alpha&scene.org -- catch@spam.de
GnuPG 0x2964BF46 2001-03-15 42F9 9FFF 50D4 2F38 DBEE  DF22 3340 4F4E 2964 B=
F46
Please do not remove my address from To: and Cc: fields in mailing lists. 1=
0x

--5mCyUwZo2JvN/JJP

--5mCyUwZo2JvN/JJP--