Date:      Wed, 22 Jul 1998 15:49:36 +0930
From:      Matthew Thyer <Matthew.Thyer@dsto.defence.gov.au>
To:        FreeBSD CURRENT <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Subject:   Re: DEVFS not creating slice devices for my SCSI disks

Following up my own message.

Its the DEVFS probe of the disklabel that is failing to find
any slices (partitions).

The old kernel finds partition 0 but the new one finds none.

There is no MBR on any of these SCSI disks according to all my
DEVFS kernels.   Is that a problem now ?

Here are the disklabels (all are similar just the sizes differ):

eddie: {1} disklabel -r sd1
# /dev/rsd1:
type: unknown
disk:
label:
flags:
bytes/sector: 512
sectors/track: 87
tracks/cylinder: 15
sectors/cylinder: 1305
cylinders: 2120
sectors/unit: 2767245
rpm: 3600
interleave: 1
trackskew: 0
cylinderskew: 0
headswitch: 0           # milliseconds
track-to-track seek: 0  # milliseconds
drivedata: 0

3 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  a:  2767245        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 - 2120*)
  c:  2767245        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 - 2120*)

Filesystem settings:

eddie: {5} tunefs -p /dev/sd1a
tunefs: soft updates:  (-n)                                disabled
tunefs: maximum contiguous block count: (-a)               15
tunefs: rotational delay between contiguous blocks: (-d)   0 ms
tunefs: maximum blocks per file in a cylinder group: (-e)  2048
tunefs: minimum percentage of free space: (-m)             1%
tunefs: optimization preference: (-o)                      space

extract of dmesg output for DEVFS partition probing with the new kernel:
sd1: probing for MBR.. sd3: probing for MBR.. sd4: probing for MBR.. wd0: probing for MBR..  part 1, start=63, size=1169217

extracts of dmesg output:  (from the CTM src-cur 3429 kernel):
aha0 at 0x234-0x237 irq 11 drq 6 on isa
scbus0 at aha0 bus 0
sd1 at scbus0 target 1 lun 0
sd1: <SEAGATE ST41650 6230> type 0 fixed SCSI 2
sd1: Direct-Access 1351MB (2767245 512 byte sectors)
sd3 at scbus0 target 3 lun 0
sd3: <SEAGATE ST42100 7544> type 0 fixed SCSI 2
sd3: Direct-Access 1813MB (3713130 512 byte sectors)
sd4 at scbus0 target 4 lun 0
sd4: <SEAGATE ST42100 8224> type 0 fixed SCSI 2
sd4: Direct-Access 1812MB (3711990 512 byte sectors)
DEVFS: ready to run
sd1: probing for MBR.. nope
sd1: probing for disklabel.. yep
 part 0, start=0, size=2767245
sd3: probing for MBR.. nope
sd3: probing for disklabel.. yep
 part 0, start=0, size=3713130
sd4: probing for MBR.. nope
sd4: probing for disklabel.. yep
 part 0, start=0, size=3711990

Matthew Thyer wrote:

> At CTM src-cur 3429 my system works fine but with kernels
> of src-cur 3457 and 346? (whatever it is we're currently
> up to - about 8 hours ago) DEVFS no longer has devices for
> the slices of my SCSI disks.
>
> All I see in /dev for the SCSI disks is: /dev/sd1, /dev/sd3
> and /dev/sd4 (I have three disks wired down to their SCSI id's).
>
> These are old 1.3 and 1.8 GB disks (Seagates I think) which
> are connected to an adaptec 1542B controller.
>
> The disks in question have a single 'a' slice covering the
> whole disk and have filesystems that were created with either
> newfs -m 0 OR newfs -m 1 (I dont recall which right now).
>
> Maybe the problem started after raw devices went away ?
>
> All kernels have SLICE and DEVFS in them.
>
> Any idea whats up ?
>
> Unfortunately all source and my home directories are on these
> SCSI disks so I'm having to run with my 3429 kernel even though
> I've done two make worlds since.
>
> Sorry I cant provide more details but the system is remote
> (currently) and it hasn't come back from a boot on the newest
> kernel (as it couldn't fsck the filesystems of course!)
>
> --
> /=====================================================================\
> |Work: Matthew.Thyer@dsto.defence.gov.au | Home: thyerm@camtech.net.au|
> \=====================================================================/
> "If it is true that our Universe has a zero net value for all conserved
> quantities, then it may simply be a fluctuation of the vacuum of some
> larger space in which our Universe is imbedded. In answer to the
> question of why it happened, I offer the modest proposal that our
> Universe is simply one of those things which happen from time to time."
>  E. P. Tryon   from "Nature" Vol.246 Dec.14, 1973

 Matthew Thyer                                 Phone:  +61 8 8259 7249
 Corporate Information Systems                 Fax:    +61 8 8259 5537
 Defence Science and Technology Organisation, Salisbury
 PO Box 1500 Salisbury South Australia 5108