Date:      Mon, 16 Jun 1997 09:35:02 -0700
From:      Don Wilde <Don@PartsNow.com>
To:        acosta@intergate.bc.ca
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Simplicity vs. POWER

Hi, Tony -
	Judging from the amount of shouting going on, I think you deserve
a politer answer. First, all instructions ARE clearly available on the
www.freebsd.org website.
	But second, as to why FreeBSD does not (and probably will never)
fall out of the box onto your computer, this is because its developers
are more concerned with adding *power* to it, and fixing things to work
even better. You know, I just bought a copy of Win3.1 for my company,
and it still has all the original bugs in it???!!!! Micros**t doesn't
even BOTHER to tell you their crap needs work. Have you been told to
download the two "service packs" to fix your W95 yet? It's only on the
SURFACE that their stuff is easier to use. Have you tried programming for
their GUI yet? I'll clue you in, it's PAINFUL!
	When you become proficient in FreeBSD, if you still feel the way
you do, I would suggest that you contribute some scripts to the FreeBSD
distribution which automate some more of the installation details. Your
contribution would be welcomed, there's always more to do!
	Third, is it worth it? YESYESYES! The world needs a free antidote
 to Micros**t and all the rest, source code included. We support
FreeBSD.org and fsf.org with our code and our support and our refusal to
pay for bloated, bug-ridden software and overblown marketing. You will
find that your computer has more (free) software on it, works better, and
can do more with FreeBSD. It may take you three or four times to
configure it right, but I will put that up against my ugly experiences
with W95 and NT and Novell any day. I prefer configurability and source
code and instant support from these lists to cattle-prod stupidity and
the right to fork over my money for somebody else's bugs.
	I support my company's computer needs with all of the above
operating systems, plus HP-UX and NT as well. All of my CRITICAL systems
(except our CAD stations) run FreeBSD. I do have Novell and W3.1 as many
of my clients, but I offer them the choice of FreeBSD + X + fvwm instead
of their Windoze PC's, and more and more of them are jumping. These, mind
you, are PC users who grew up on Micros**t, but Applix Office reads all
Micros**t files, and it works well. I'm working on replacing Nov(h)ell
with NFS-mounted FreeBSD, but the problem is that NFS for PC's is not
free. It'll take me a while, but I'll get there eventually. If I can get
all my clients to jump, I'll be home free!
	Whew! Well, I guess I did end up shouting, but I feel strongly
about this. Life without Micro**t would be nice...
--
  oooOOO O O O o * * *  *   *   *