Date:      Fri, 29 May 1998 22:13:50 -0400
From:      Malartre <malartre@aei.ca>
To:        Jordan <jordan-k@usa.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: for a newbie?

Jordan wrote:

> FreeBSD or Redhat Linux??? In terms of ease of installation and setup
> primarily. I have been a Windows\DOS user so I need a fairly forgiving
> Unix to start out with. I know you guys are biast to FreeBSD, but I need
> a honest opinion.
> Thanks,
> --
> -----------------------
> \ Men are from Mars,   \
>  \ Women are from Venus,\
>   \ Computers are from Hell. \
>    --------------------------
>  J.O.R.D.A.N.
>  ICQ# 7297792

I've used Win95 one year. And I currently write this mail under Win95.I'am
new to Unix (maybe 4 month) and only used FreeBSD2.2.X
After a *lot* of wasted time, I finded than it was so much easy to start
learning Unix without Xfree86 and without all shortcut. You will find the
changement *hard* because there is no drag and drop, no GUI, no easy thing
with mouse. But you will more easily understand how it is. Really, if you
try the easy way, you learn nothing. Maybe you could be interested to try it
(its free, only time is wasted). After learning a lot, I suggest to use
Xfree.

I have Win95 and FreeBSD on one 3.6 gig hard disk because of family
restriction: they use Win95 so when I take the computer, I have to reboot.

It look like a sexy MS-Dos black screen
Malartre