Date:      Thu, 18 Jul 2002 07:19:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ross Lippert <ripper@eskimo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   MS Dynamic DNS problems

I think I am having problems similar to those described here:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=2292608+2295040+/usr/local/www/db/text/2002/freebsd-questions/20020623.freebsd-questions

Basically, something in the network at work here changed and now my
FreeBSD laptop no longer updates its DNS entry when it moves.

I have it dual booting Win2k/FreeBSD4.5.  When I boot in win2k the DNS
does get updated, but when I boot in FreeBSD, the DNS does not.  The
interface is DHCP with dynamic DNS running on an MS implementation.

Now, as an added clue, it used to be that the Win2k boot would not
update the DNS entry, so I took it to the support center (which is
committed to supporting MSWin, but only barely tolerant of anything
else).  The fix they employed there was to pull up the DNS
configuration panel and set some sort of domain suffix list to a set
of names they had handy which looked like "xxx.com yyy.xxx.com
zzz.com" and reboot Win2k and after that, DNS updated.

Has anyone experienced this?  Can anyone suggest a possible modification
to the FreeBSD conf files which emulates the fix they did for win2k?

Thanks,
-r
PS not subscribed.  Reply personally.