Date:      Sun, 20 Jul 1997 20:35:37 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Penisoara Adrian <ady@warp.starnets.ro>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need advice for SMP production server

Hi,

On Sun, 20 Jul 1997, Andreas Klemm wrote:

[...]
> Generally I'd want to warn you, that -current is not the typical
> environment for a production machine. You should use FreeBSD-2.2.2
> and cvsup the 2.2-STABLE version.
Hmmm, I NEED to run SMP, so it's obvious I'm talking 3.0-current...

> On the other hand -current is since a long time in a very good
> shape with only minor trouble from time to time. And it's the
> only release, that has SMP capabilities.
Personally I had no trouble since installation, except for the buggy SCSI
driver (aic7xx in 970209-SNAP) which forced me to assist to about 20-25
reboots since then :) I know, I could have tried an cvsupped kernel, but
that happened right in the middle of the 4.4BSD Lite2 'upgrade', and
lazy/scary me I haven't the gods to do a make world ;)

> Since I use better hardware and have a new power supply, I had no
> big trouble and am running a very fast 2 x 200 MHz PPro machine.
Happy SMPfying ! BTW, overclocked ? (Mine not, and not gonna happen...)

Ady (@warp.starnets.ro)