Date:      Fri, 21 Apr 2000 23:33:07 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        Dusty Schnabel <dusty_s@bigfoot.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Remove Boot Manager

Dusty Schnabel wrote to freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG:

> I need to know how to remove the boot manager from my system that
> freeBSD setup.  I have two HDs and now Win98 only will see my 1st HD
> b/c of the boot manager I beleive. If you can help me please send your
> reply to:
>
> Dusty Schnabel
> dustys@visto.com
>
> Thank you.

Please configure your mailer to wrap lines at ~72 characters, or enter
line breaks manually.  Doing so will help us read your post :-)

If you have Windows 98, drop to a DOS prompt and type fdisk /mbr to
restore the default boot manager.  Note that this will boot the designated
"ACTIVE" primary partition on your first drive.  One operating system will
certainly be unbootable.

In a FreeBSD system, you can run /stand/sysinstall, go to post-install
config menu, fdisk, and select the hard drive in question, and select
"Standard Boot Manager" from the options (selecting "None" is not
recommended :-).  Selecting the standard MBR should be functionally
equivalent to DOS fdisk, in the preceding paragraph.

** Hopefully, you won't have to do either one:

In answer to your problem of Windows being able to see only the 1st HD,
there are a couple possible reasons for this.  Having FreeBSD's boot
loader in the MBR is generally NOT such a reason.  If you formatted the
drive as "Dangerously dedicated", or if ALL the partitions on the drive
are NON-DOS (i.e., FreeBSD), you obviously won't have any drive letters
show up in Windows--and I think that's what you mean by Windows "not being
able to see the drive".  If that assumption is not correct, please explain
what you originally meant.

If the partitions are all DOS primaries, and one or more are not marked
active, those partitions will not be recognized by Windows.

If you made a mistake using FDisk, your partition table may be
corrupt/invalid, in which case Windows might be confused and refuse to
show drives.

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Systems Administrator, Accounts

  SaskNow Technologies     http://www.sasknow.com
  #106-380 3120 8th St E   Saskatoon, SK  S7H 0W2