Date:      Mon, 12 Jul 1999 12:24:54 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: keymapping continued ...

In message <Pine.BSF.4.05.9907121449570.66634-100000@thelab.hub.org>
The Hermit Hacker writes:
: 	I need to build a keyboard map such that:
:
:       F1 == ESC OP
:       F2 == ESC OQ
: Shift-F1 == ESC [31~
: Shift-F2 == ESC [32~

Why not do this with Xterm translations?  Generally speaking xmodmap
and friends are poor choices to even think about doing this with since
they don't translate function keys to escape sequences.  The
applications do that, if they want.  The only time you're likely to
need them is in a terminal emulation situation, which makes xterm the
logical place to do this.

: 	Hopefully this makes a bit more sense?

Yes.  It does.  You should use the translations resource for XTerm to
accomplish this.  From my .Xdefaults file:

XTerm*vt100*translations: #override \n\
	Alt <KeyPress> y: insert-selection( PRIMARY, CUT_BUFFER0 ) \n\
	Meta <KeyPress> y: insert-selection( PRIMARY, CUT_BUFFER0 ) \n\
	<KeyPress> BackSpace: string( 0x7f )\n

is one example.  It allows me to "map" the BackSpace key into a DEL
character (which in my religion is the right thing to do, your
religion might vary), as well as giving me an easy way to paste, at
least into xterms when I don't have a middle mouse button.

This could easily be expanded to include all the vt220 keys that your
boss/coworker needs in xterm.

Check out the xterm man page for a more complete example, including
ways of mapping different keymaps at the touch of a key.

Warner