Date:      Thu, 31 Jan 2002 13:45:23 +0100
From:      "Siegbert Baude" <Siegbert.Baude@gmx.de>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <soren@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Softupdates

Hi all,

> now after this discussion about softupdates let's try summing up things a
> little. We're talking about a productive boxes where risk of losing
> data should be minimal (but of cause the speed is also important). There
> seems to be the following main conclusions:
>
> 1. Softupdates by themselves are not too risky;
> 2. Write caching should be better turned off in this case;
> 3. For the SCSI drives it can be considered enabling write caching.

I just wanted to add, that there are also IDE disks with "tagged command
queueing", e.g. the newer IBM disks (are there others?). But I remember
vaguely a message of Soren, that it doesn't work as well, as for SCSI disks,
therefore I cc'ed him to ask, if I'm wrong here and the ata version of "tagged
command queueing" is as good as the SCSI one nowadays.

Ciao
Siegbert