Date:      Thu, 10 Aug 2000 16:48:11 -0400
From:      "Andresen,Jason R." <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        Marc van Woerkom <marc.vanwoerkom@science-factory.com>
Cc:        bartol@salk.edu, joeo@cracktown.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XFree86-4.0.1 and DRI

Marc van Woerkom wrote:

> > I've just tried to enable DRI on a G400 but it's still a no go. It's a
> > 32MB G400 and I'm trying to run at 16bpp 1280x1024. I get the following
> > error message in the XFree86.0.log file (see attached for more detail):
>
> What worked well was XF 3.3.x series with Utah-glx.
> Look for it in the ports collection.

I'm not so convinced.  I ran Utah-glx on my G200 card and never saw any
of the promised speed increase.  Maybe nothing was using any of the
advanced features of my card, I don't know.

> The situation for XF 4.x is not known to me regarding that
> card. I am not up date (but catch up :)a
> Keep in mind that Utah glx is for XF 3.3.x and that
> you can't hang such a glx module into XF 4.x.
> XF 4.x uses a SGI implementation and a newer version
> of the glx protocol.
> Again, I don't know if someone took the old Utah GLX
> driver yet and whacked it for XF 4.x series.

I think there is more support for the G200/G400 in 4.x.  I noticed an
actual speed increase in both 2D and 3D when I upgraded, although the 3D
increase may be due to the more efficent 2D.  I'm not sure if the 3D
acceleration ever worked under X.

--
  / \/ \  | ||_ _||  _ \|___| | Jason Andresen -- jandrese@mitre.org