Date:      Wed, 27 Dec 2006 07:45:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      "R. B. Riddick" <arne_woerner@yahoo.com>
To:        Christian Laursen <xi@borderworlds.dk>, freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: geom_mirror delayed synchronizing question

--- Christian Laursen <xi@borderworlds.dk> wrote:
> What is missing is automatic synchronization after running this
> command. If I manualle run "gmirror rebuild name prov" on the stale
> arrays, synchronization starts, but I need this to happen
> automatically.
>
> The small changes I have made so far:
> http://borderworlds.dk/~xi/gmirror.diff
>
> Any hints on how to write the code to find the relevant mirrors and
> initiate the rebuild would be much appreciated.

Wasnt that feature already implemented?
"graid5 configure -a" and "... -n"?

I would be glad if it was possible for gmirror to detect an idle
gmirror-device... If it is idle, requests r issued more frequent and if the
device experiences concurrent requests (e. g. from fsck), gmirror does no or
hardly any sync requests...

But this strategy could lead to a very very lengthly rebuild process on a very
busy server, which contracts a RAID0-like risk of (complete) device failure...

Maybe this "nice feature" should be implemented somehow intelligently? Maybe
phases of rebuild and phases where concurrent user-land requests r executed?
E. g.: 10 second undisturbed user-land (if there r any pending requests) and
then 1 second gmirror's rebuild requests...

-Arne