Date:      Fri, 28 Jul 2017 11:11:12 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        FreeBSD Net <net@freebsd.org>, Adrian Chadd <adrian.chadd@gmail.com>
Subject:   Enable 802.11 debug at boot

I am having evere issues with bringing up my network card. I had previously
had this and a patch to a locking issued mostly fixed it. (It still popped
up now and ten, but moved from "problem" to "annoyance".) Now it is again a
problem.

System is a Lenovo T520 ThinkPad running 1-STABLE with an Intel WiFi card:
iwn0@pci0:3:0:0:        class=0x028000 card=0x13118086 chip=0x00858086
rev=0x34$
    vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
    device     = 'Centrino Advanced-N 6205 [Taylor Peak]'
    class      = network

When the card is brought up at boot time, it has a very hard time getting a
connection. It could take over a minute to connect, but the system kept
reporting that the card had transitioned from DOWN to UP and DHCP would
fire up. After one or two cases of the card showing hung and a firmware
reload, it would make a connection and things would be fine.

Since about hte start of the 11.1 release cycle, it has gotten much worse
and some really odd behavior has appeared. It often seems to fail to scan
properly and connects to a neighbor's Xfinity (Comcast) service (very weak
signal and low priority in the wpa_supplicant config file) instead of my
AP. If I run "ifconfig wlan0 list scan", I don't even see my AP. If I
restart, I go through the same connection dance and my eventually connect
to my AP. A "list scan" usually does not show any Xfinity SSID. Weird.

It now get really weird. I try to re-scan for APs with "ifconig wlan0
scan". It used to take a few seconds to scan before reporting the list of
APs, but now comes back instantly, always with an identical list of APs. It
never changes. It looks like scan is a no-op. Waiting for  background scan
to run also never seems to show any change in the list of available APs.
Not even slight changes is S/N ratio.

My kernel has IWN_DEBUG and IEEE80211_DEBUG, but I am not sure how to get
debug enabled at boot. sysctl.conf takes care of dev.iwn.0.debug, but I'm
not sure how to do "wlandebug +assoc +auth +state +rate" at boot. Do I need
to write a little rc.d script to run after /usr is mounted and before the
network starts? Of is there a better way?

Thanks!
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com