Date:      Tue, 11 Dec 2012 22:20:40 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org, Eitan Adler <eadler@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   why is kern.maxproc not read/write?

Eitan was asking me to update the FAQ section 5.7:

> *5.7.* Why do I get the error "kernel: proc: table is full"?

That error is no longer relevant, but I also seemed to find out
something else interesting..

Been grepping through the code, and it seems like the only side-effect
of maxproc changing would be overcrowding the hash table tidhashtbl and
pidhashtbl.

I can't see anything that's statically allocated any longer.

The only bad thing is that the procs seem to be taken from a
UMA_ZONE_NOFREE zone, so if the user makes an insanely high value, it
could be end of days.

Even the MD code seems to use it to size the number of pv entries.

I'm wondering if making this a runtime tunable that has a SYSCTL_PROC
attached that doesn't allow it to go below some PROC_MIN would be OK.

Am I missing something?

As far as Eitan's question about the FAQ section, the new message
printed is:
"maxproc limit exceeded by uid %i, please see tuning(7) and login.conf(5)"

The faq is wrong, and tells the user to change sysctl.conf, where it
should say to update loader.conf.

-Alfred