Date:      Sat, 29 Jan 2022 13:31:13 +0100
From:      Andrea Venturoli <ml@netfence.it>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [ZFS] file in encrypted dataset disappears on first reboot

On 1/29/22 12:51, Taceant Omnes wrote:

> root@fbsd-vm:~ # zfs get mounted zroot/enc
> NAME       PROPERTY  VALUE    SOURCE
> zroot/enc  mounted   no       -

There it is!

> So the property is not mounted but it allows me to create a file on
> it?

Not exatcly.
If a dataset is not mounted you are NOT creating a file on it. Rather
you are creating it in its parent (i.e. in directory enc on dataset zroot).
This is like any other filesystem.

> And still don't understand how file disappears only after the
> first reboot but not the second!

You initially created the file on the (mounted) dataset.
You reboot and it was not mounted, so you didn't see it.
You created the file once again, but (see above) not on the dataset you
think (because it's unmounted).
You reboot again and saw the second file (since the dataset was still
unmounted).
If you mount the dataset, you'll see the first file.

> The dataset is automatically mounted after I create it

Yes.

> and after rebooting, so I don't think this is a mount problem.

Seems not.

  bye
	av.