Date:      Sun, 21 Oct 2001 21:04:06 -0400
From:      Sergey Babkin <babkin@bellatlantic.net>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, msmith@mass.dis.org
Subject:   Re: FYI

Mike Smith wrote:

> > So the driver writers
> > are forced to at least recompile their drivers for each release.
>
> This isn't typically the case, actually.  4.x has in fact been very
> good in this regard.

What about between 3.x and 4.x ? And 5.x is going to be yet another
major change.

> > Plus people are very active at ripping away the old APIs even
> > when there is no immediate need for that nor benefit from it (think
> > of phk's removal of the LIST-something macros).
>
> The removal of the LIST* macros doesn't affect the kernel interface
> (they're macros, not functions).

And if some code uses these macros and has to be recompiled
then this becomes an issue. And not only for the drivers but
for applications too. Remember, that the thing that broke
in -current was vi.

Another example would be the compatibility PCI infrastructure
ripped out of -current together with a few drivers that were not
newbussified yet. If people don't bother about the drivers in the
source form that are parts of the official tree, they bother
even less about the third-party drivers.

I can understand when supporting some old piece of technology
requires extra effort which is not available, so it gets into
disrepair and eventually gets ripped out. But when people
spend _extra_ effort on ripping out the perfectly working things
which can stay in the tree for a few more years without any
need for support, this amazes me to no end.

> > So often not
> > a simple recompilation but a noticeable rewrite may be required
> > for a driver between different versions of FreeBSD.
>
> I've been maintaining drivers for a while now, and frankly, I just
> don't see this.

Think of newbussification. Or of CAM-ifying.

> > That actually is true not only for the drivers but for the usual
> > binaries too. For example, there seems to be no way to combine
> > COFF and ELF libraries into one executable.

Sorry, I've meant to say a.out, not COFF.

> Of course there isn't, and there'd be no point in it.

Why do you think so ? I've given you one real example why it
could be useful.

> > That made porting
> > of Lyx to 4.0 unfeasible, as the binary-only Xforms library it
> > used was at the time available in the COFF form only. And I haven't
> > found how to build even purely COFF binaries on an ELF-ized
> > system either.
>
> Use a cross-gcc setup.

Which is not a too easy and obvious thing to set up. Plus at least
install the static a.out libraries and headers from 3.x.

> > Maybe we should have an official policy of keeping the things
> > compatible and available for as long as possible even if they are
> > considered obsolete, unless carrying them on requires a major
> > effort.
>
> We do.  And we do.  Of course, this effort goes largely unnoticed and
> unthanked, since you're not going to comment on it unless you're
> personally inconvenienced by it.

Maybe I'm missing something but I can't see how keeping compatibility
can inconvenience someone. On the contrary, the inconvenience happens
when this policy is not followed.

> I've asked before, I'll ask again.  Will folks please just let this
> die?  You're producing a great deal of archive-filling material that's
> just not accurate or relevant, and your misinformation is harmful to
> the Project in a very real fashion.

If we hide our heads in the sand in an ostrich fashion, it won't
help that much either. And this information is relevant though
maybe not always quite accurate.

-SB