Date:      Wed, 14 Mar 2001 11:29:30 -0800
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        kstewart@urx.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.2-R installer bombs because I can't turn UDMA off...

Kent Stewart scribbled this message on Mar 14:
> John-Mark Gurney wrote:
> >
> > Well, I'm looking for a way to turn off UDMA under 4.2-R.  I have a
> > PA-2007 motherboard, and if I have UDMA enabled on the IDE controler,

FICA ^  (it's using a VIA VT82C586A south brige chip)

> > the system has problems.  With pre-4.x systems, this wasn't a problem,
> > but I do not see any documentation on how to turn off UDMA in 4.2-R.
>
> What kind of HD's do you have. Both Western Digital and Maxtor have
> programs that will setup their HD's up to only work at lower rates.

It's a seagate..

> Once you get 4.2 installed, you can add a sysctl for hw.atamodes and
> set them to pio mode in /etc/sysctl.con. The Promise Ultra 66
> controller pci card also works on my system with a similar problem.

but how do I know that when booting (between the time the kernel starts
init and /etc/sysctl.con gets read) that I won't get corrupted data??
This needs to be done at the kernel initalization time, and NO later...
you can't risk having a boot fail.. what happens if the machine drops
to shell because of a bad reading durning fsck??

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 408 975 9651
  Cu Networking