Date:      Thu, 2 Oct 1997 19:58:22 -0400
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@quickweb.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Murray Stokely <murray@cdrom.com>, Brian Haskin <haskin@ptway.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CVSUP vs. SNAPS

On Thu, Oct 02, 1997 at 04:00:24PM -0700, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> > On Thu, 2 Oct 1997, Brian Haskin wrote:
> > % > > 2.2-STABLE (where we are today)
> > % > > 2.2.5-BETA (for while we are in BETA on the branch)
> > % > > 2.2.5-RELEASE (when you finally roll the puppy up)
> > % > > 2.2.5-STABLE (after you roll the release).
> > %
> > % Why this seems rather logical and easy to follow at least to me a
> > % newbie.
> >
> > Why?  If we were in the 2.2.2-STABLE branch right now, it might make
> > some sense.  But we're not.  We're in 2.2-STABLE.  It's a development
> > branch, not a specific release, and the naming scheme fits the
> > development paradigm rather well I think.
> >
> > There is no 2.2.5 branch where a -stable tree could be tracked, its
> > just a specific release from the 2.2 branch.  So 2.2.5-stable wouldn't
> > make any sense.
>
> Thanks for summarizing my position so succinctly, Murray. ;-)

I'd have to agree! I think all that needs to be explained better is
the notion of a "branch" and a "release" - i.e. a release is just a
snapshot of the 2.2 development branch. I think many newbies aren't
familiar with the branch terminology due to the fact that in the
Windows world users just don't get to "touch" the development process
so directly :-)

My $.02,

-Mark

> 					Jordan

 Mark Mayo		  				mark@vmunix.com
 RingZero Comp.  	  		   http://www.vmunix.com/mark

	 finger mark@quickweb.com for my PGP key and GCS code
Win95/NT - 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to
an an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor,
written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.  -UGU