Date:      Wed, 25 Oct 1995 15:45:12 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@rocky.sri.MT.net>
To:        User Shepner <shepner@Eris.Manchester.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dialin problems

> I have a USR Sportster 14.4 modem connected to my FreeBSD2.0R system.  The
> serial ports are using the 16550 UARTS.  When I dialin to there, all that
> happens is I connect and never get a login prompt.

I'll bet you $5 that the modem is incorrectly set to a different speed
from the getty.  Use tip to connect to the modem at 19200,
type 'AT&Q' to get your modem to lock onto your current speed, and then
type 'AT&W' to save this value into the modem.

Power cycle the modem, and then stop/restart the getty (some or all of
these may not be necessary).

It should work fine now.

Nate