Date:      Tue, 1 Apr 1997 10:28:47 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        gbeach@cybernet.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Internal clock

> I have been searching for an answer to the following question.  Doug
> White at questions@freebsd.org said that you may be able to help.  So
> here it goes:
>
> How can I make time measurements in increments smaller than the clock
> tick?  Specifically, I am running BSD on a Pentium PC which has 128
> clock ticks per second.  Is there any way to improve the resolution?

The clock can be set faster, and generally is for the kernel profiling
code.  What exactly do you need it for?  If for profiling, then it's
already coded up for you... if for timers and so on, the timer will
fire at the expected time, but that won't necessarily context switch
the process which was waiting for the event, only mark it ready to run.
If your system is heavily loaded, it may take more than 10ms for your
process to start running again.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org