Date:      Fri, 16 Oct 1998 00:03:10 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        winter@jurai.net (Matthew N. Dodd)
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Strange error

Matthew N. Dodd wrote...
> On Thu, 15 Oct 1998, Kenneth D. Merry wrote:
> > What sort of device is this?  A removable disk changer?
>
> A Magneto Optical Jukebox.
>
> da2 at bt0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
> da2: <HP C1716T 3404> Removable Optical SCSI2 device
> da2: 5.0MB/s transfers (5.0MHz, offset 8)
> da2: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not present
> ch0 at bt0 bus 0 target 1 lun 0
> ch0: <HP C1718C 1.25> Removable Changer SCSI2 device
> ch0: 3.300MB/s transfers
> ch0: 16 slots, 1 drive, 1 picker, 1 portal

Ahh, interesting.  A portal, even.  Hmm.

> > > I'll pull this unit and try my spare when I get home.
> >
> > Yeah, it may be having hardware trouble of some sort.
>
> No such luck.  Same exact error.
>
> I've got to be doing something wrong but I can't figure out what.
>
> The drive is set to auto-spinup media on a load from the picker.  The unit
> passes all onboard self tests as well.
>
> I suspect I need to format the media but that command fails as well.

What command did you use to try to format it?

> What other initializing command can I issue the drive other than 'START
> UNIT'?

Hmm, dunno.  Test unit ready and start unit are the normal commands to
send.  I guess you could try a read capacity.  Have you tried booting the
machine with a disk in the drive?  (the da driver issues a read capacity
command at probe time)

> If it would help I have the entire SCSI reference for the drive and the
> changer available. (2meg PDF @ 600 odd pages).  My review of this document
> has turned up nothing but maybe someone a bit more clued in to the SCSI
> system would have better luck.

Well, send it on.  I'll take a look through it when I get a chance and see
if I can figure out what's going on.  (or you can just give me the URL to
download it from somewhere)

Did this work under the old SCSI code?  Do you know if it works with any
other OSes?

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry