Date:      Thu, 14 Jun 2001 15:32:51 +0200
From:      "Karel J. Bosschaart" <karelj@wop21.wop.wtb.tue.nl>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   problem reading one or more particular file(s) from CD

Hi,

I have a problem reading some files off CD's that I burnt with the
mkisofs/cdrecord combo; I mount it as usual, and copy the contents. However,
one of the files is not copied, as cp says "Bad address", while the console
shows

Jun 14 14:41:30 wop21 /kernel: cd9660: Joliet Extension (Level 3)
acd0: READ_BIG - ILLEGAL REQUEST asc=64 ascq=00 error=01
vm_fault: pager read error, pid 86366 (cp)

(the first line is from the mount command)
I thought this to be some bad spot on the CD, but it happens more often than
would be reasonable, as I had yesterday 4 of such CD's in a row, and I had
similar trouble in the past, sometimes with more than just one file. Also, it
happens consistently always on the same file(s), and in both of my CD players
(both SCSI). I tried on other machines: a 4.1.1-STABLE with IDE drive: same
problem, as well as on another 4.3-RC with IDE.

When dumping the CD content with dd to the harddisk and mounting the image
using vnconfig, I can copy the 'lost' file without any trouble! Also,
firing up VMware with NT4 will let me copy that file. A Win'98 box didn't
give me any trouble copying that file.

Finally, I found a FreeBSD box (4.3-STABLE with IDE drive) that is able to
copy the particular file, and it never failed (I tried 10 times or so).

Does someone has an idea as where to start searching for the problem? I'm
getting a bit concerned about the safety of my data on CD.

Maybe important: it appears (at least in the 4 cases from yesterday) that
it concerns the file that was last written to the CD, which is also filled
up almost entirely (648 to 650 MB, with 1 MB = 1024*1024). But from the
findings with dd, VMware, Win'98 and that particular FreeBSD machine I'd
say that the iso is correct and complete.

Karel.