Date:      Fri, 14 Jun 2002 08:53:27 -0700
From:      Joe Kelsey <joek@mail.flyingcroc.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   configure and ksh

I have been having a difficult time recently with seemingly random ports.

For extremely obscure reasons, which I still don't understand, seemingly
random ports will suddenly fail to detect already installed software in
their configure scripts.  For instance, libwmf consistently fails to
detect installed xml2, even though I can clearly see it.  Similarly,
xscreensaver-gnome kept failing to detect perl, even when I specifically
set PERL=/usr/bin/perl.

Finally, I bit the bullet and started actually trying to read and
understand ./configure, a daunting task.  I really hate reading
./configure because it is so opaque...

Anyway, I discovered that the offending configure scripts all contain
code which attempts to set CONFIG_SHELL by looking for a variety of
shells in a manufactured path.  Since I just happen to have a symlink
from /bin/ksh to /bin/ksh93, this perverted logic selects /bin/ksh as
CONFIG_SHELL for reasons that I do not understand.  Apparantly, ksh93
does not work with configure for some reason.

I fixed the problem by placing

CONFIG_SHELL=/bin/sh

in /etc/make.conf.  Maybe this should be placed in
/etc/defaults/make.conf as a precaution?

/Joe