Date:      Thu, 17 Nov 2005 18:49:20 +0100
From:      Daniel Rock <freebsd@deadcafe.de>
To:        jpeg@thilelli.net
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sun U20 supported, fully/partially working... or not at all?

Julien Gabel schrieb:
> Certainly, even if the FreeBSD report's feedback is not very optimist
> on this particular mainboard (mainly because some of the main components
> are not _yet_ tested, as PCI-E or onboard Gig-E).

Onboard Ethernet should work. It is just plain NForce4 Ethernet. I haven't
tested it on this mobo, but on a Tyan S2895. On this machine nve does work -
as long I don't have memory beneath 4GB. I have to clip the kernel to a
maximum of 4GB (via MAXMEM config variable), otherwise nve doesn't work at
all. With this workaround I can usually transfer some 100 GBytes before nve
problems come up again.

> Not having a serial port may be a problem.  Is it possible to use the
> USB port to act a serial for console access?

I don't think so. But I don't know if and how Sun customized the standard
S2865 BIOS.

> Since we certainly will use an other ethernet card on bus PCI, the last
> point is annoying but not for the moment (we doesn't use Gig-E yet, just
> 100Mbps (as with nve(4), it seems)).

nve is unstable not only with GigE, but (at least for me) also with only 100Mb

Daniel