Date:      Wed, 02 Apr 1997 18:40:06 -0800
From:      Pedro Giffuni <pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co>
To:        Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: blas, eispack, linpack need new MASTER_SITES

Bill Fenner wrote:

> The .tar file would have both the .Z and the .gz files, right?  I'm not
> sure that doubling the size of the distfile is a big win (although fetching
> all those little files does suck).

No. AFAIK the tarfile only contains the .Z files. I ported fftpack,
based on the linpack (or was it lapack) port, and there were only .Z
files so I changed the extraction sequence. I was interested in getting
this ports well in order to port Rlab, but Chuck Robey strongly objected
the Makefile in linpack . He was right in his appreciations but he
hasn't found the time to fix this (I haven't either).

> I did a little bit of stuff on these 3 ports, giving them new MASTER_SITES
> and cleaning up their Makefiles a little, but if you want to change the
> distfile fetching maybe I can just send you my diffs as a starting point.

The extraction is easy (post-extract: uncompress * ). What worries me
now is that f2c _HAS CHANGED_ recently, and porting it doesn't seem
simple (many small files: perhaps one port fit f2clibs and another for
f2c). Before changing everything I (we) need f2c updated.
Perhaps, We could commit your diffs and label these broken?..I don't
have the time right now :(.