Date:      Fri, 19 Mar 1999 12:22:37 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        Kevin_Weiss/AUS/Lotus@lotus.com (Kevin Weiss/AUS/Lotus)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: xdm looping error

Kevin Weiss/AUS/Lotus wrote,
> whenever I implement xdm from root, it loops back onto itself.  In other
> words,
> xdm starts, I log in (either as myusername or root), type in the
> appropriate password,
> and then:
>    1) Screen blanks out for a sec
>    2) X Window "seems" to start (i.e. the grey background comes up for a
> split second)
>    3) The login screen appears again, and I have to login again
>    4) Repeats 1-3 again...and again...again...
>
> I have to end up "sneaking" in CTRL-ALT-DEL right after typing in the
> password just
> to shut down the machine.

Can you Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get to a console? Or Ctrl-Alt-BackSpace to kill
X?

> Any suggestions?

I have had this problem too. What I believe is happening is xdm is
going through its startup scripts and for whatever reason, finishing
them all. It should not finish them. When the scripts are done, it
means the session is ended and it starts over.

By default, xdm will execute your '~/.xsession' script. When this
script ends, the session is over. Do you have one? And if so, what is
in it? If you have no .xsession, xdm loads your defaults in
'~/.Xresources' and then starts xsm. Look at the manpage for xsm and
see why it may be quitting if you don't have the .xsession file.

HTH. Try sending some of this more specific information to the list if
you cannot locate the problem.