Date:      Fri, 21 Apr 2000 23:38:47 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        Yamin Prabudy <min@starindo.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: how to burn

Yamin Prabudy wrote to FreeBSD:

> I'd download the 4.0-install.iso
> it said that that is the image file and can install a complete FreeBSD
> 4.0 system
> how do i burn it to CDROM,.....
> the step or just burn the hole file to CD
>
> TIA
>
> -YAMIN

You need to write the ISO out as an image.  Don't write it out as a
file--it probably won't fit on your media, and you will just earn yourself
one very shiny coaster, with a condensation drain hole in the center :-)

Most burning hardware software will write out an ISO image--consult your
relevant documentation for details on how to do it.  The CD, if burned
correctly (and if your CD drive supports such a thing) will be bootable.
So, if you can boot from it, it worked.  If you can't boot from it, you
may still be able to install from it by first booting from the floppy boot
disks.

If it still doesn't work, smile inwardly, observe your reflection in your
new high-tech coaster, make a set of floppy boot disks, and perform a
network install over FTP if you have that option.  May I also recommend
buying the pre-made CDs, complete with nice labels, from www.cdrom.com.
In so doing, you will experience the truly gratifying experience of
supporting the free software effort.

Hope this helps,
- Ryan

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Systems Administrator, Accounts

  SaskNow Technologies     http://www.sasknow.com
  #106-380 3120 8th St E   Saskatoon, SK  S7H 0W2