Date:      Mon, 5 Oct 1998 14:03:56 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Don Wilde <Don@Partsnow.com>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: nominate your favorite enemy corporation

At 8:23 AM +0000 10/5/98, Don Wilde wrote:
>> http://webreview.com/wr/pub/98/10/02/frames/index.html#top
>
> ... is the URL for Michael Swaine's Inertia Awards contest. I've
> nominated a certain company from the Northwest, but I'm sure
> multiple nominations won't hurt... ;D

My understanding is that this mailing list is for us to discuss
how to advocate FreeBSD to new customers, and not a list to waste
time with name-calling of the competition.  Pissing on microsoft
might be fun, but it doesn't convince anyone to "buy into" freebsd.

Now, I am sincere in saying it might very well be fun to do, I'm
just saying it will not help to advocate freebsd.  Let us not
get confused as to what actions are really going to help this
project gain more happy customers.  You can be pretty sure that
no one at Microsoft is going to waste their time nominating any
other OS in this "inertia" list.  They are too busy asking
themselves "How can we get more customers?".

Or maybe we should have a catagory for "inertia in marketting",
and then we can have a grand old time nominating ourselves while
microsoft continues to pour resources into capturing the hearts
and minds of any and all customers.  Microsoft didn't capture 90%
of the marketplace thru "inertia".  They may not do much for
computing innovation in Redmond, but they certainly are not
"succeeding thru inertia" either.

Just my opinion, obviously...

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu