Date:      Sat, 10 Jul 2004 01:18:06 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Subject:   Re: Native preemption is the culprit [was Re: today's CURRENT lockups]

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004, Robert Watson wrote:

> I'm now experiencing extremely hard hangs in the following configurations:
>
>   SMP kernel running SCHED_ULE with hyperthreads
>   SMP kernel running SCHED_4BSD with hyperthreads
>
> To generate the load, I'm using the "supersmack" benchark with the
> select-key.smack query set with 30 client workers and 10,000
> transactions. I am able to reliable hang the system with one or two
> runs.
>
> By disabling the "#define PREEMPTION" entry in param.h with SCHED_4BSD,
> I'm able to complete the benchmark several times in a row without
> apparent problems. However, I'll leave it running for a few more hours
> and see if I didn't just "get lucky".  I'll then try SCHED_ULE w/o
> PREEMPTION.
>
> By "extremely hard" I mean that I am unable to break into the debugger
> using a serial break on the serial console.  I have not yet been able to
> run the test on a system with easily accessible NMI but will attempt to
> do so in the next few days.
>
> I'll give UP a spin with various combinations next.

FYI, UP+SCHED_ULE with PREEMPTION hung within three seconds of starting
the benchmark.  Without PREEMPTION it seems to run fine.

So it looks like either PREEMPTION has a problem, or it's triggering an
existing problem elsewhere.  If it's only one problem, it seems not to
depend on either SMP/UP or the scheduler choice.  If it's multiple
problems, who knows :-).  As the MySQL test relies on threading, we could
be looking at an edge case involving threading and scheduling/preemption
-- the other reports I've seen mention X11/KDE, which would also involve
threading.  On the other hand, it could just be load.  Tomorrow I'll load
up a box with non-threaded apps and see what happens.

robert@fledge.watson.org      Principal Research Scientist, McAfee Research