Date:      Mon, 7 May 2001 15:19:36 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
To:        FreeBSD-Stable <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Lockups with -Stable on Athlon

On Mon, 7 May 2001, Jonathan Belson wrote:

> > Jonathan> Hiya
> > Jonathan> I recently upgraded my machine to a 1.2GHz Athlon on
> > Jonathan> a ABit KT7A motherboard, with 256MB RAM.
> >
> > Have the same MB (KT7A-Raid) with a 1GHz Athlon and have no problem at
> > all. You have not tried to "overclock" it, isn't it ?
>
> No, no overclocking.  Actually I'm underclocking to 1160MHz 8^)
> Are you using 133MHz ram?
>
> > To find your problem, look at the dmesg and /var/log/messages
> > first. If there's nothing wrong, check your cooler (but it seems it's
> > not a harware problem as others OS are working well).
>
> Yes, that's what seems strange.  My heatsink is quite large and
> feels cool to touch.  I'm wondering if my PSU is being overstretched
> since it's 250W, but I haven't really got a huge amount in the
             ^^^^
> machine - but again, why do the other OSes work fine?

    AMD specs a 400W power supply for a T-bird.  I don't know why the
other OSes work fine, but I would not try much more in the
hair-pulling department until you upgrade to an in-spec. power supply.
Antec makes a nice one with a bottom intake that can be had for around
$100, including shipping (that's what I'm running).  Your 250-watter
can then power your kids' Windoze box.

    As for me, I'm using PC2100 RAM (133Mhz DDR).  If you are
overclocking your memory, then instability is not to be unexpected.  :-/

--
Chris BeHanna
Software Engineer                   (Remove "bogus" before responding.)