Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 1996 06:09:33 -0800
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        Bruce Bauman <boot@mosquito.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: in_rtqtimo: adjusted rtq_reallyold to 1600

>We have a web/authentication server which serves our small ISP business.
>Currently, we handle 30 dialup lines via a Livingston portmaster. On our
>primary server (running FreeBSD 2.1), we see:
>
>in_rtqtimo: adjusted rtq_reallyold to 2400
>in_rtqtimo: adjusted rtq_reallyold to 1600
>in_rtqtimo: adjusted rtq_reallyold to 1066
>in_rtqtimo: adjusted rtq_reallyold to 710
>
>This server sees moderate web traffic, but is otherwise lightly used. Perhaps
>2 or 3 shell accounts logged in at a time. It's also our mail hub.
>
>Should we be concerned about this? Are there any config file changes we might
>want to make to increase the amount of space for routes?

   The messages can be ignored.

>Also, is it possible to get a copy of the config file for the ftp server
>used at Walnut Creek? I would imagine it's tuned for heavy network demand,
>which is probably applicable to us.

   I'll attach a copy, but it likely will be only marginally useful without
the kernel source changes I've made as well. It's also been tuned to the
hardware configuration - especially the amount of RAM, 256MB, and may not work
correctly on machines with less memory. Handling 650 users is a difficult
thing to do. :-) Over the past 12 months, I've turned many of the tweaks into
config-file controllable things and have been slowly trickling them into the
main (-current) source tree. Wcarchive has proven to be a good place to expose
stress related bugs and performance problems.

-DG

David Greenman
Core Team/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project

#
# GENERIC -- Generic machine with WD/AHx/NCR/BTx family disks
#
#	$Id: GENERIC,v 1.41 1995/04/10 19:13:51 phk Exp $
#

machine		"i386"
cpu		"I586_CPU"
ident		WCARCHIVE
maxusers	300

options		INET			#InterNETworking
options		FFS			#Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options		NFS			#Network Filesystem
options		PROCFS			#Process filesystem
options		"COMPAT_43"		#Compatible with BSD 4.3
options		"SCSI_DELAY=10"		#Be pessimistic about Joe SCSI device
options		UCONSOLE		#Allow users to grab the console
options		DDB
options		"NMBCLUSTERS=8192"
options		KTRACE
options		"MAXMEM=262144"
options		DODUMP
options		"TCBHASHSIZE=1024"
options		AHC_TAGENABLE
options		"AUTO_EOI_1"

config		kernel	root on sd0 dumps on sd0

controller	isa0
controller	pci0

controller	fdc0	at isa? port "IO_FD1" bio irq 6 drq 2 vector fdintr
disk		fd0	at fdc0 drive 0
disk		fd1	at fdc0 drive 1

#controller	ncr0

# The three PCI 2940 controllers
controller	ahc0
controller	ahc1
controller	ahc2
controller	ahc3
controller	ahc4

controller	scbus0	at ahc0
controller	scbus1	at ahc1
controller	scbus2	at ahc4

device		sd0
device		st0
#device		cd0

disk sd0 at scbus0 target 0
disk sd1 at scbus0 target 1
disk sd2 at scbus0 target 2
disk sd3 at scbus0 target 3
disk sd4 at scbus0 target 4
disk sd5 at scbus0 target 5
disk sd6 at scbus0 target 6

disk sd10 at scbus1 target 0
disk sd11 at scbus1 target 1
disk sd12 at scbus1 target 2
disk sd13 at scbus1 target 3
disk sd14 at scbus1 target 4
disk sd15 at scbus1 target 5
disk sd16 at scbus1 target 6

disk sd20 at scbus2 target 0
disk sd21 at scbus2 target 1
disk sd22 at scbus2 target 2
disk sd23 at scbus2 target 3
disk sd24 at scbus2 target 4
disk sd25 at scbus2 target 5
disk sd26 at scbus2 target 6

# syscons is the default console driver, resembling an SCO console
device		sc0	at isa? port "IO_KBD" tty irq 1 vector scintr

device		npx0	at isa? port "IO_NPX" irq 13 vector npxintr

device		sio0	at isa? port "IO_COM1" tty irq 4 vector siointr
device		sio1	at isa? port "IO_COM2" tty irq 3 vector siointr

device de0
#device ed0 at isa? port 0x280 net irq  5 iomem 0xd8000 vector edintr

pseudo-device	loop
pseudo-device	ether
pseudo-device	log
pseudo-device	pty	32