Date:      Mon, 16 Jan 2017 04:37:24 +0000
From:      Ethan Grammatikidis <eekee57@fastmail.fm>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: buildworld build times 10-stable vs. 11-stable

On Sun, Jan 15, 2017, at 05:13 PM, Slawa Olhovchenkov wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 15, 2017 at 10:40:42AM -0600, Dan Mack wrote:
>
> > I have a system which builds world, kernel, install, boot, installworld,
> > reboot several times per week.   I just noticed that my build times
> > increased from about (just cherry picking a couple build logs):
> >
> >    Starting build of FreeBSD SVN [309852]  10.3-STABLE
> >    Kernel will be GENERIC
> >      building world ... 	90:35 0
> >

> >    Starting build of FreeBSD SVN [312099]  11.0-STABLE
> >    Kernel will be GENERIC
> >      building world ... 	146:23 0
> >
> > before I start bisecting the log files, is there something obvious
> > introduced in 11 that I missed that would explain the roughly 50 minute
> > difference in my build times?   clang?  additional subsystems?
>
> lldb/clang and related.

Around 2007 or 2008, I saw a worse jump in compile time when gcc gained specific optimizations for my CPU. There was no clear increase in performance from the optimized software, so I switched back to generic optimizations. I'll be watching out for this now I'm installing FreeBSD.

--
I'm too old to use vi.