Date:      Thu, 15 Apr 1999 17:03:40 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Dan Roberts <droberts@gwis.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   pam error(?): no modules loaded for `XXX' service

I do not profess to be a programmer, nor do I claim to have mastered
anything beyond a simple hello.c.  However, I do feel I've managed a
reasonable attempt at hacking a qpopper PAM patch that was originally
intended for Linux.  It compiles and runs, however in attempting to
authenticate, I receive an error in /var/log/messages that says

 popper[61181]: no modules loaded for `popper' service

Seemingly, the only significant difference between the linux
implementation and what I have is that there is in linux, libdl is
loaded..  It seemed reasonable that if popper wasn't able to load the
library that this is what would cause the error, but a post I saw by John
Polstra stated that dynamically loaded libraries are handled within libc.

So I'm not really sure where to turn now.. I could really use a good point
in the right direction if anyone has any suggestions.

To answer a few questions I perceive: I'm running 3.1-R, I do have the pam
library linked, I remembered to set up pam.conf for this service, and it
does match the name referenced in the pam_start function call.

pam_start("popper", user, &conv, &pamh)
 user is a const char, pam_start is being returned into an int, pamh is a
 pam_handle_t type and conv is some structure created beforehand that I
 don't really understand.

If anyone wants to see the code, just say so.

Thank you.

--
Dan Roberts, http://gwis.com/~droberts
Systems Engineer - Gateway to Internet Services